When it comes to decorating your home, there are so many options to consider. One aspect of designing your home includes painting the walls. You want them to match your style and your decor. A trend that is alive and popular in the decorating industry is the use of accent walls.
An accent wall is a single wall in a room that is painted a different color than the rest. Accent walls, also known as feature walls, are a great way to solidify a theme for your space or experiment with bolder decor.
Getting the Proper Attention
Choosing the right wall is the first step to an eye-catching accent wall. A poor choice could mean the difference between a room that’s well put together and a room that just seems off. Whichever wall you choose, be confident there’s a reason to draw attention to it.
There are no rules set in stone when it comes to selecting the accent wall. It's good to be flexible in your options, as all rooms are different.
1. In general, the right wall to accent is usually the first one that you see when you enter a room. You and your guests will always have it in view.
2. Look for other architectural clues, such as a fireplace, built-in bookcases, or architectural nooks. These will ensure that the accent wall is the intended focal point.
3. The wall you choose should be symmetrical. Avoid walls that have a slope, windows of different sizes, or odd niches.
4. Placing your accent wall on the wall you face regularly is a great idea. You'll utilize the natural line of sight of the room, which will enhance the focal nature of the feature wall.
5. Look for a solid wall. Walls that don’t have interruptions such as doors, windows, or built-ins, are great contenders for an accent color. Common examples of these are the walls behind sofas and beds.
6. Consider existing furnishings. If a potential accent wall is already mainly hidden by other furnishings like art, floor lamps, tall furniture, or window treatments, painting it wouldn’t add anything to the room. You want to choose a fairly open wall.
7. If you can't find the right accent wall, consider the fifth wall, the ceiling. A white ceiling heightens a room while a darker color makes a large bedroom appear cozier.
Choosing the Right Colors
An accent wall is a popular design option because it offers homeowners flexibility with creativity and color. There are unlimited paint options for you to choose from. Finding the perfect color and the right professional painter is important. Your home is unique, and your accent wall needs to be as well.
Use color to your advantage. If you want to make a particularly short wall seem longer, you can paint an accent wall in a cool hue like blue or green. Alternatively, you can make a long wall look more balanced by painting an accent wall in a warm hue like red, orange, or yellow.
- Do not be afraid to choose a bold color for your accent wall. Many people think they must choose a color that is only a few shades off from the rest of their walls. If your decor and other room accents match the accent paint color, you can go as bold as you want.
- You don’t have to simply paint your accent wall a single color. You can play around with stripes, chevrons, and other shapes when painting. Your accent wall can be a mural or include several colors.
- When choosing and creating your accent wall, remember that you should consider more than just paint for the wall. Think about the pictures, artwork, and decor you may want to add to the wall and area in front of it.
- Even if you want to keep your room neutral-looking, an accent wall can still work. With neutral color schemes, consider using a brown or tan as your accent color.
- If you're using wallpaper or a mural to be your featured accent wall, ensure the colors and patterns match the rest of your space.
Trusted Accent Wall Painter
Now that you've chosen your wall, you'll need to choose the proper color schemes. Here at Walla Painting, we can help you choose the right color and shade for your accent wall.
If you need more than an accent wall painted, we can upgrade the rest of your home, both interior, and exterior, with a new coat of paint.
Contact us today for a free consultation.