Preserving your home’s exterior paint and keeping it from fading is essential in maintaining the appearance and value of your property. Keeping the paint on your home looking fresh and vibrant can be a challenge, especially in areas with intense sunlight or extreme weather conditions. However, there are several steps you can take to help prevent your home’s exterior paint from fading. Fading can occur due to many factors, including exposure to sunlight, extreme temperatures, and moisture.
You can take several steps to prevent fading and prolong the life of your paint.
- Clean Your Exterior Before Painting: Even if the exterior appears clean, it is almost certainly dirty. Paint will not adhere well to a dirty surface. If you paint over grime and dirt, your expensive, time-consuming paint job won’t give you the professional or long-lasting results you want.
- Apply Paint To A Dry Surface: After cleaning your home’s exterior, allow it to dry thoroughly. If there is dew on the siding, wait until it has dried so the new paint can adhere well.
- Have The Best Conditions: Avoid painting in direct sunlight. The heat dries the paint too fast and can cause blistering and peeling. Avoid painting on very windy days, as it also causes it to dry too fast and can blow dirt into wet paint. Never paint when there’s a chance of rain in the forecast.
- Choose High-Quality Paint: Not all exterior paints are created equal. Look for ones specifically formulated to resist fading, cracking, and peeling. Selecting paint with UV-inhibiting pigments or those designed in hot, sunny climates will help protect your home. Purchasing the highest-quality, exterior-grade paint designed to withstand the elements is a wise investment.
- Use High-Quality Primer: Before applying paint, it is essential to use a primer. A primer helps to seal the surface and provides a smooth base for the paint. It also helps to prevent fading by creating a barrier between the paint and the elements.
- Choose The Right Color: Darker colors tend to fade faster than lighter ones. If you want to avoid fading, choose a light color for the exterior of your home. Lighter colors reflect more sunlight, which helps to reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the paint. Choose a vibrant color for your front door if you want your home to stand out. A door can easily be repainted in the future to keep the color bright and beautiful.
- Apply A Second Coat: While many high-quality paints are designed to look good with only one coat, the color will last longer if you apply a second layer. An additional coat of paint will reinforce the color and help it look better longer.
- Keep Your Home Clean: Regularly cleaning your home’s exterior can help prevent paint fading. Use a mild detergent and water to remove dirt, mildew, bird droppings, and other contaminants from the surface. Thoroughly rinse the surface to remove any residue. Use a pressure washer to remove the dirt and grime from the surface for tougher stains. Be sure to use a low-pressure setting to avoid damaging the paint.
- Trim Trees and Bushes: Trees and bushes can provide shade and protect your home from the sun. However, they can also create an environment conducive to mold and mildew, which can damage the paint over time. Regularly trimming trees and bushes can reduce the amount of moisture around your home and protect the paint.
- Protect Your Home’s Exterior: You can’t control the weather, but you can defend your home’s exterior from its worst effects. Maintaining clean gutters and a sturdy roof helps prevent water from dripping down your exterior. Touching up your paint job when necessary will keep your exterior better protected from the elements.
- Regularly Inspect And Repair: Regularly check your home’s exterior for any signs of damage, such as cracking or peeling. If you notice any damage, fix it as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
By following these tips, you can help to keep your home’s exterior paint looking great for years to come. Remember to use high-quality paint and adequately prepare the exterior before applying new paint. Regular maintenance and keeping the surrounding area clean will also go a long way in prolonging the life of your paint. The best way to ensure a long-lasting and beautiful paint job is to hire local experienced house painters for expert application techniques.
Hire a Professional Painting Company
Walla Painting is a locally owned business that specializes in residential painting. Our fully insured, bonded, and skilled painters can handle any project. We are proud to have received Angie’s List Super Service Award 10 years in a row for our customer service and detailed workmanship.
Walla Painting serves Carmel, Westfield, Zionsville, Noblesville, Fishers, and McCordsville homeowners. We offer residential interior and exterior painting and cabinet and trim painting. Contact us online or at (317) 505-0894 for a free estimate.